Sunday, August 13, 2006

Cottonwood Falls to Hesston, KS

Today I stopped at a national tallgrass prarie preserve and looked around. I felt a little cheated because the grass was only about a foot high. Hardly "tall". I learned later that is normal for this time of year - the really tall grass doesn't grow up until later in the season. OK.

They also had displays of a bunch of old stuff... horse-drawn buggies, foot-powered grinding wheels, etc. Made me wonder how we would make those things differently if we had to make them today. I was imagining for example the buggy... instead of being made of lumber and forged iron, it could be built like a bicycle. It would have a lightweight chrome-moly steel frame, bicycle-style tension-spoked wheels, air-filled rubber tires, mesh-backed seats, a waterproof ripstop nylon canopy, sealed ball bearings, etc. I was thinking about a post-carbon world, of course. Before gasoline was used for everything, people used horses or their own muscles. But what if we went back to human or animal power but with modern manufacturing techniques? Seems like we could use some of the basic designs they used but make them much lighter, more comfortable, and more convenient. I can imagine a collapsible horse-drawn buggy, for example, that folds up when not in use. Hmm...

Saw this cool sign today. If that doesn't say "Dave, come visit us!" I don't know what would. Too bad it was 4.5 miles out of my way down a gravel road, or I surely would have visited them.

Finally arrived in Hesston, where my parents went to college.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Dave, Your parents need to update you on their "previous life." We went to Hesston College at different times--Tom from 1957-59 and Shirley from 1964-65. (Did you remember that Mary also attended Hesston?) We actually met at Goshen College while Tom was a student there and Shirley was working in the college bookstore....now you know! :)

From Tom: Dave, it looks like you are following the route I took from Hesston to Denver in the days before interstates--at least if you jog up from Eads to Kit Carson and then angle toward Denver.

8:04 PM  
Blogger Dave said...

Hi Mom and Dad, sorry. I corrected the entry. :)

6:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home